This week, I visited with my manager before leaving on a trip. He passed me Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can’t Afford to Miss, by David Cottrell. He said this is what his boss recommended. Here are the notes I took while reading it:
- Focus on the objectives not on distractions
- Always ask “What will you change to make this week better?”
- What’s the main thing? That goes for you and for your organization.
- People quit people, not companies.
- Recognize “Super Star” behavior.
- Fix the problem. Don’t continue to live with it.
- Protect your integrity.
- Develop an action plan before a crisis.
- Your time is your responsibility. Make better decisions about how to spend your time.
- Use the right tool the right way.
- Set aside “planning time.”
- Touch paper once (this applies to email too).
- Eliminate time wasters.
- Clump activities together.
- Give feedback that is: Sincere, Specific, Timely and aligned with values of receiver.
- Set goals
I also had an original idea that grew from reading the book… It is good to be a life long learner, but as you learn and grow, it benefits everyone if you share and produce content, as well. Just being a consumer of content is not enough. Synthesizing and sharing benefits everyone.