I just finished upgrading from version 2.7 to version 3.2. I know it is a pretty big jump, but that’s part of why I kept putting it off. WordPress 3.2 requires a newer MYSQL database and PHP language. I was running an older versions. Here is the process that worked for me. Hopefully it will give you a place to look if you have trouble.
- Created a backup of the current database using the hosts tool and a WordPress plug-in (WP-DBManager).
- Auto update did not work because of the requirement for a newer database and language
- Used the host tool to create new MYSQL 5.0+ database
- Used the host tool to upgrade to latest version of PHP.
- Saved a copy of the current ‘wp-config.php’ file.
- Edited the file with the new database info.
- I got a fatal error.
- I archived the main directory and the wp-admin, wp-content, and wp-includes folders
- I did a manual install of the new WordPress 3.2
- I renamed the current wp-config.php file (just in case…)
- I opened and updated the wp-config-sample.php file with the new database info.
- I deleted the ‘-sample’ out of the file name and my blog came back to life using the new database, php, and software.
I hope this helps!